Who do I call if I see a dead animal in the road?

If it is obstructing traffic, the police or animal control can move it.  If the animal is a deer, call 518-439-9973 and tell the dispatcher of its location so they can notify the correct town, county or state highway for removal.  If not in the way, nature can take its course and it will disappear.  If the animal really has to be removed, call 518-439-9973 and assistance from animal control or town highway can be sent.  Albany County Department of Health recommends dead animals found in peoples' yards can be buried (at least three feet deep) or double bagged and put in the trash.  NYSDOH does not want to test animals unless there is a human exposure.

Show All Answers

1. What do I do if I suspect someone’s animal is being abused or neglected?
2. Who do I call if I see a dead animal in the road?
3. What do I do if I encounter injured, orphaned, etc. wildlife?
4. What do I do if my pet is lost?
5. I saw a wild animal near my residence, what do I do?
6. Do my pets really need to be immunized against rabies?
7. What happens to dogs found loose in the town?
8. Where do I go if I want to adopt an animal?
9. What do I do if I find an animal that could be someone's pet?