I saw a wild animal near my residence, what do I do?

Bobcats, coyotes, fishers, foxes, birds of prey, and bears have been seen in Town, this is not unusual.  The Animal Control Officer tries to monitor unusual occurrences with these animals and keep NYSDEC informed.  All of these animals are under DEC's responsibility (518-357-2450) not the Town's.  Under an emergency situation (as with a suspected rabid animal), the ACO or any member of the police department can take action to protect the public.  The ACO advises people not to leave pets or children out unattended, not to feed pets outside, thoroughly clean grills after use, and not to leave any garbage available to attract wildlife.  Cats especially should be kept indoors.  Even bird feeders should not be used from early March to late November.  Small children should always be under supervision.

Show All Answers

1. What do I do if I suspect someone’s animal is being abused or neglected?
2. Who do I call if I see a dead animal in the road?
3. What do I do if I encounter injured, orphaned, etc. wildlife?
4. What do I do if my pet is lost?
5. I saw a wild animal near my residence, what do I do?
6. Do my pets really need to be immunized against rabies?
7. What happens to dogs found loose in the town?
8. Where do I go if I want to adopt an animal?
9. What do I do if I find an animal that could be someone's pet?